We are committed to reducing the amount of waste generated by optimising the use of resources through responsible design and efficient site operations. We continue to work with our Clients, Design Teams and Supply Chain to investigate waste reduction opportunities, reduce unnecessary packaging waste and maximise recycling.
In 2019 we reduced the amount of Construction by 6% reduction in the amount of construction waste generated in relation to company turnover. In 2019 we also successfully diverted 98% of Construction waste generated from landfill by segregating waste streams on sites where space permitted and by working with our specialist waste contractors and visiting their recycling facilities.
Waste initiatives implemented in 2019 included:
- Design team material efficiency workshops
- Offsite fabrication of items
- Designing out waste through pre-cut plasterboard which has resulted in savings of 10% on each project they have been used
- On site crushing of Demolition waste
- Cut and fill to maximise reuse of material
- On site waste segregation
- Supplier takeback schemes
- Community recycling initiatives to include participation in the Considerate Constructors Big Build initiative
- On site baling of plastic and cardboard